Antique Doors, Santa Fe

These old doors were found in Santa Fe, New Mexico, but they could have been found in some other exotic place – many are imported for use in the adobe homes in Santa Fe. I loved how the softened hues of paint created a texture on the whole door, and the patina on the brass lock added to the feeling of antiquity. I positioned myself to frame the ‘seam’ of where the doors joined off-center, to keep the picture more dynamic, and used the bolt/lock to tie the two parts together.

This image was processed minimally in Lightroom and then worked on in Nik’s Viveza to bring up the rich greens and the detail of the textures, using control points on the image.

If you are interested in saving 15% while purchasing any of Nik’s software products, please visit the discounts page.

Brenda Tharp
Brenda is an award-winning photographer, author, keynote speaker, workshop instructor and tour leader. Her acclaimed books include Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography, and Extraordinary Everyday Photography.
Brenda Tharp on BehanceBrenda Tharp on FacebookBrenda Tharp on FlickrBrenda Tharp on GoogleBrenda Tharp on InstagramBrenda Tharp on LinkedinBrenda Tharp on RssBrenda Tharp on TumblrBrenda Tharp on Twitter
This entry was posted in Brenda Tharp's Photo Blog.

6 Comments

1. Brenda January 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Thanks, Bob – they are so much fun, those textures! You got me interested a while back with your wonderful layered images, they are so rich in textures. Hope all’s going well up your way!

2. bob cornelis January 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

Love the texture work you’re doing, both in this and the last posting. I use the Flypaper textures a lot – they’re really nice. Wonderful images that really respond well to these types of treatments. Nice going!

3. Brenda January 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Thank you Jimmy, for taking the time to visit!

4. Jimmy White January 25, 2011 at 6:59 am #

Beautiful image Brenda! Thank you for sharing.

5. Lin Bass January 25, 2011 at 5:27 am #

Very, very nice. I think I’ll make my way over to the NIK site.

• Brenda January 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Thanks, Lin. They really are great products, and easy to learn. What I love is the control point technology that allows you to make selective adjustments without extensive masking like you’d need in Photoshop. But they go beyond that with the presets they’ve included as a way to get you started with a base ‘look and feel’ and then you can take it from there, or you can just start from the base image and do your own things on it. Enjoy!